She believed she could. So she did.





Monday, January 23, 2012

A Little More Than A Red Re-Do

Sometimes karma swings your way and after a good kick in the pants, gives you a little pat on the back--like with this adorable old stool. (First off, can I just say this has Jennifer written all over it. So thank you, Karma. You got it soooo right). It belonged to a how shall I say "less than effective teacher" please read (OMG! A holy nightmare! And see me eye rolling, exasperated, and drinking too many diet Dr. Peppers to dull the pain and reality of it all). Kids crowded my office in packs and parents flooded my voicemail and inbox with complaints, worries, and what-are-you-going-to-dos. Sometimes it would be with things that you would think were completely unbelievable if you hadn't been there. Like..."What do you mean the kids stole your teeth? Why were they on your desk?" Or "Removing your hearing aid is a classroom management strategy that you really might want to re-evaluate." But in all the-never-grade-a-paper or return-a- paper-mess, this little charmer was left behind. After some good scrubbing (I mean really good scrubbing with rubber gloves, scalding water, and hospital grade antibacterial agent), tightening of the joints, and a fresh coat of paint, we've got a great little place to sit in the kitchen while sipping on some morning coffee. Although in retrospect after a great deal of reflection, a few therapy sessions, and more diet Dr. Pepper, I can't say the experience of this teacher was all bad. She definitely taught me how to toughen up and manage difficult and uncomfortable situations. Nowadays, not all that much seems difficult or uncomfortable. (I'm calling because I've gotten some feedback from teachers that your sweet darling may want to consider taking a bath and use a little deodorant. As a mom myself, I would want to know. Or your sweet darling posted rumors about herself on Facebook, Tweeter, and something called Tumbler, and called it bullying. As a mom myself, I would want to know). No, through her abject lack of teaching, she strengthened my conviction of the importance of ensuring the best education we can provide for all students, regardless. Think back. You really only got that one chance in English 1 or geometry or whatever. And then the semester ended, and it was over. After my doctoral work and central office work, I was big-time disillusioned by education policy, funding, egos, and all the red tape rigamarole. At times, I felt like I had gone to seminary and lost God. But being back on an amazing campus (built on foundational educational philosophies) with hard working students and teachers re-energized and re-fortified my beliefs about what working in education or "having the call" should be. So I guess in a way, she gave me a real-life education that couldn't be learned on any page in any book. And tomorrow when I look at the little red re-do sitting in my kitchen, I'll remember my little re-do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment